Monday, June 8, 2015

The Whole 30 Program Week 1

Since I've been running less due to the pesky knee I've felt like junk.  So blah kind of how I felt much of the winter while running less.  During my boring sitting not running time I came across an article about the Whole 30 Program.  Have you heard of it?  Well if you haven't here is a quick explanation.  Certain food groups like sugar, fake sugars, grains, legumes, and dairy could have a negative impact on your health and fitness without you even realizing it.  Inconsistent and nonexistent energy levels may have these food groups to blame!  WHAT? Not my ICE CREAM! NOOOOOOOOO!  Also, inflammation, aches and pains, digestive issues, allergies, and skin issues can be linked to these food groups!  Essentially on this program you eat meat, seafood, eggs, nuts and seeds, fruit (only 2 servings a day though), oils and veggies lots of veggies, did I mention veggies?  A lot of those!
The creation of this eating program comes from a husband and wife duo, Dallas and Melissa Hartwig.  You can read all about it and how they came to create it at www.whole30.com (the whole program is on there FREE) or you can check your library for their book It Starts With Food.

So after reading the article I got curious, who wouldn't right?  So I mentioned to my husband, who drinks about 2 - 16oz glasses of milk at dinner every night plus other dairy like GREEK yogurt, coffee cream and my beloved ice cream what I read about dairy affecting seasonal allergies.  He has always had this annoying throat clearing thing (it is subconsciencely done so he can't stop it) he knows it's annoying so it's ok I say it.  Well!  He stopped drinking milk, eating the yogurt and having cream in his coffee and within days noticed no annoying throat clearing and his allergies were wayyyyyy better, then we got ice cream and sure enough that night sitting watching tv it reappeared!  Coincidence I think not.  Hmmmm should we try this for 30 days and see how we feel?  We decided  it was worth a shot.  So we decided June would be the Whole 30 Program.  

I read the book in a Friday evening and Saturday morning (you know when I should have been 
running a long run but can't) and then hit the grocery store
Purchases made!

Milk was for the kids!
Prep done!

I made Mayonaise, super easy took like 3 mins by hand.  Then a few salad dressings to use as dips and spreads for things and cut fruits and veggies to have ready for quick grabs.  If you want any recipes just ask me I researched and jumped in.  For breakfast all week I had these 

Oops I guess I was already eating that!


They are just a basic Paleo mini quiche essentially.  I made a few varieties so not to get bored.  Some were all veggie and some had hot sausage in them with the veggies.  I paired these with a fruit each morning and coffee.  Very filling and satisfying.  I made a few days worth at a time so it was a quick grab breakfast.

Lunch everyday was leftovers from the night before.  I made some amazing dishes and none of which took long at all!  We have crazy busy nights between coaching 2 afternoons until dinner time and Physical Therapy at dinner time, dinner needs to be quick and easy!


Here is a peak at our dinners

Steak bomb minus the bread and cheese with veggies and a homemade dip


OMG beef coconut curry with peapods, carrots, onions, peppers and broccoli.
Hands down best thing I have eaten in like forever! 


Mexican beef taco in Boston Bib lettuce with homemade Dreamy Avocado dressing 


Buffalo style chicken burgers that I made a bit too spicy for most of the family (oops!) in the Boston Lettuce again instead of a bun with the dreamy avocado dressing to cool it off a tad,  garlic asparagus and butternut squash cut into sticks and roasted-so yummy! 


Sort of a sweet potato shepherds pie.  To be honest Friday is almost always beer and pizza night because I'm spent.  The week is long between up and working by 6 most days and just finishing the day up at 5 to head to PT then cook I'm toast!  I usually look forward to Friday.  This meat stared at me all day in the fridge.  I threw this together while mentally beating that part of my brain that was screaming for pizza. Not craving mind you because surprisingly I craved nothing all week! 

Buffalo Chicken sausages for me hubby had steak but I was kind of sick of beef.  I also heated all the leftover veggies up and had a variety of those.  I needed to make room in the fridge for more fruits and veggies. 
 
Coconut chicken tenders, homemade mango salsa, butternut squash things again and the leftover green beans.

I learned many things this week and so did my husband.  I feel a billion times better except in the afternoon I have a low blood sugar foggy haze moment where I eat a piece of fruit and a couple nuts then I'm fine.  My stomach went from looking 5 months pregnant to almost flat.  All the Nasty  bloat was gone.  My husband had to tighten his gun belt (kind of a big deal!) 
Grocery shopping got a little more expensive but I think that was mostly because I had  to buy a few things we don't normally cook with like Coconut aminos, coconut flour (I'm allergic to almond flour) and unsweetened coconut.  Stocked up on a variety of nuts too which cost an arm and a leg.  
I think it was actually spending less overall though because we didn't eat out at all.  

I did lack energy on some of my PT approved runs but not sure how much is from this and how much was just from losing cardio fitness over the injury.  We'll have to see how Week 2 goes running and working out.

So, have you ever tried Whole 30 or would you?  It is definitely eye opening!  I would love to hear your results and thoughts!  
I'm not a doctor. 
Everything written in this post  are my own views so consult a doctor.  



No comments:

Post a Comment