Wednesday, May 4, 2016

you don't appreciate what you can do until you can't do...

What a year this has been.  Please sense the sarcasm!

Almost a year ago to this date I messed up (aggravated) my knee on a Mother's Day hike.  I guess it was punishment for asking for that as my gift from my anti-hiking husband. Took time off for PT and struggled getting back into running shape.  I struggled mentally and physically on the road back then developed that damn plantar fasciitis which made the road back even harder.

I found crossfit and a family of athletes that made me feel welcome and I enjoyed every grueling workout. I had gotten so out of shape not being able to run that it was nice to channel that drive into something healthy and benefitting ME.  I used crossfit to train for my fall half marathon without running much at all because of my knee being angry when I ran.  I was able to run that entire half without walking and was so happy to finish!  It may have been a slow half marathon for me but it was a mental roadblock I got past.

I hurt my back this winter moving a laundry basket (it was heavy I swear) and that slowed down my progress at crossfit, 2 steps forward, 3 steps back, and it slowed down my running even more.  I reaggravated it in mid March and then ended up in the ER with the worst pain of my life (not exaggerating!) I haven't felt my left leg or foot since March 20th! VERY FRUSTRATING!  I have now spent 8 weeks doing nothing! NOTHING! NOTHING AT ALL!  In case you missed that NOTHING!  I have iced, heated, taken Naproxen and pain killers and now 2 weeks ago had Steroid injections in my SI joint and L5.  I am finally beginning to feel like me! Feeling most of my leg and foot and not in constant pain.  YAY! And now there is a plan set forth to get back into exercise.

This week I had permission to start jogging slowly (like there was another option besides turtle pace!) with my Girls on the Run team I coach! I did 2/3 of a mile and it was HARD! Holy crap! I don't  remember starting running being this hard and I was 50 pounds heavier than now!  
  I am looking forward to bringing you on this journey.  As uncomfortable as this journey will be.  I have a new appreciation for being able to move without pain.  You don't appreciate what you can do  until you can't do it.  Trying to remember that will be the goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment