Wednesday, December 10, 2014

My Story


Some of you may know my story but others may think I was always a runner.  I wasn't!
My journey began in the fall of 2011 by doing a couch to 5k program.  I had gained weight over the years and 2 pregnancies and let myself go.  I would lose a little then gain it back but this time  I was ready to put my health first because I wanted to be a better example for my kids.  So I set out doing the Couch to 5k program, running every other day and keeping a journal of my distance, time, how I felt and noting all my ailments along the way.  Let me tell you at over 200 pounds I had some!  Yes you read that correctly I was over 200 pounds.
Fall 2011

My first "race" was a local Turkey Trot with no time clock which was perfect (it raised money for the local food pantry so it was a great cause!). I ran almost the whole thing, not fast but I finished!  I was bit by the running bug.  I set a goal for myself for the coming year (2012) to run at least a race a month for the year.  New Year's resolutions don't typically work, or last, for me but I figured to run these races I would have to keep up training so it would be a win-win.  I started looking at races and all the different places I could run and I got really excited. Then I got the crazy notion to run a Half Marathon.  Why not right?  Since I was able to run 3.1 miles why not tack on another 10.

I was very lucky that I had a great friend willing to join me on this crazy yearlong journey.  In Febuary I ran my first Half Marathon.  It was a virtual race, it raised money for a charity, and you ran it on your own inside or out as long as it was a 13.1 mile measured distance.  It was a perfect first for me so I didn't have to fear being last and I knew I then could do a REAL Half.  I ran lots of races that year including a cross country trail 5k, many 5ks, a 5 miler, 10 miler and 2 more Half Marathons.  I finished the year with great memories and PRs that I wanted to train to better.

Fall 2012 Smuttynose Half Marathon


Then, in the early spring of 2013 I was introduced to a new running friend (kind of felt like a blind date) and we started running together every weekend getting ready for some Spring Half Marathons.
May 2013 Big Lake Half Marathon


On our weekly runs my new buddy convinced me to make a big jump and train for a full marathon.  I'm so glad she did because it made me further love my long runs!  We trained together all summer and in the fall of 2013 I ran my first FULL MARATHON!
Packet Pick up


The ugly cry
Smuttynose Marathon 2013 


Since then I struggled with a stress fracture, dropped out at mile 16 of Marathon number 2, and became a Beachboy coach (in that order).  Through my journey with Beachbody I fell in love with PiYo and had my fire majorly reignited.  PiYo helped me get stronger and improve my 5k PR by 2 minutes and PR while injured (no one said I was smart) in the Half Marathon as well.
Smuttynose Half Marathon Fall 2014
IRun4 Carson
I can't wait to share not just my running adventures with you all but also my day to day crazy ins and outs of motherhood.  Through all these adventures my family has stood by me and supported me (sometimes in the cold pouring rain) and  I have made great friendships that I know will last a lifetime.

I have a bucket list that keeps growing so buckle up and let's get this party started!

4 comments:

  1. Good for you Kate! I'm sure you inspire others and will continue us to do so with this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words! I'm really excited about documenting and sharing. I really wish I had done this from the start of my journey because boy have I had some crazy adventures!

      Delete
  2. Love it! Looking forward to following your journey. Also, I'm always looking for a running buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ami! And me too! You can never have too many running buddies! Never!

    ReplyDelete