Thursday, December 11, 2014

Winter Running? Take it or Leave it?

I think anyone that knows me (and if you don't yet you will soon!) knows I hate winter.  I hate snow, ice and especially the cold!  While others ski and snowboard I prefer to read by a fire and sip (spiked) cocoa (or a good Guinness).  I do love when the snow is on the ground but the roads are safe and it is warm enough that you can go out and really enjoy a good run though.  Not for speed but for pure lung burning exhilarance.
My Girly and I in a winter wonderland
Winter 2014
But you know what winter is GOOD for?  Planning and training!  Planning (more to come on that later) what races and series you want to run the upcoming year and training (running & cross training) to get stronger and fitter for the spring!  So that's what I'm doing.  PiYo, Les Mills Pump, and running!  I've created my own Hybrid schedule so I can follow along with my December PiYo challenge group (still time to join us!) and still follow the Les Mills PUMP program.  I am loving the lifting and can really feel the difference.  I know how much PiYo helped my running last summer so I can't wait to see how it helps over this winter strength season.  Spring race times can only be better!  I find it so much easier in this rainy, snowy and cold weather to do indoor workouts than to wake up when it's dark and go run in the dark.  The treadmill has never been my favorite past time.  I will use it when I need to but for now more concentration is being put on strength than distance.  It's hard for me mentally to drop back from running 125-150 miles a month to sooooo much less but I know it is what will make me better and stronger!


A guide for crappy winter weather
Your welcome


Do you run in the winter indoors or outdoors?  What is your favorite cross training exercise? What keeps you motivated?


No comments:

Post a Comment